Parametric connected sum
Tex syntax errorand equipped with codimension 0-embeddings and of a compact connected manifold
Tex syntax error. It generalises the usual connected sum operation but is more subtle since the isotopy classes of the embeddings and may be significantly more complicated than the isotopy classes of embeddings of n-discs need for connected sum: these last are determined by (local) orientations.
2 Connected sum
Tex syntax errorbe a compact connected n-manifold with base point . Recall that that a local orientation for
Tex syntax erroris a choice of orientation of , the tangent space to
Tex syntax errorat . We write for
Tex syntax errorwith the opposition orientation at . Of course, if
Tex syntax erroris orientable then a local orientation for
Tex syntax errordefines an orientation on
Tex syntax error. If
Tex syntax errorand are locally oriented n-manifolds then their connected sum is defined by
Tex syntax errorand any two compatibly oriented embeddings and , that is isotopic to . If
Tex syntax errorand are oriented manifolds the connected sum is a well-defined up to diffeomorphism. Note that orientation matters! The canoical example is
The manifolds are not even homotopy equivalent: the first has signature 2 the other signature 0. The following elementary lemma is often useful to remember.
Tex syntax errorand be locally oriented manifolds such that there is a diffeomoprhism , then .
3 Connected sum along k-spheres
Tex syntax errorand it is sufficient to equip them with an isotopy class of embeddings of the k-disc. Moreover, the disjoint union is the unique thickening of . This motivates the following
Defintion 3.1.An -oriented manifold is a pair where
Tex syntax erroris a compact connected manifold and is an embedding.
Defintion 3.2. Let and by -oriented manifolds. Define
where is defined via the embeddings and .
Is is clear that we have the following
Observation 3.3.The diffeomorphism type of depends only upon the the isotopy classes of the embeddings and (which of course includes the diffeomorphism types of
Tex syntax errorand ).
The operation of -connected sum was used in [Ajala1984] and [Ajala1987] to describe the set of smooth structures on the product of spheres . It is also used in [Skopenkov2006] to define, for , groups stucture on the set of (smooth or PL) isotopy classes of embeddings of into . In [Skopenkov2007] the -connected sum was used to estimate the set of embeddings. This construction also appears in [Sako1981].
4 Parametric connected sum along thickenings
Let be a stable fibred vector bundle. A foundational theorem of modified surgery is
In particular, has the structure of an abelian group. The question of whether there is a geometric definition of this group structure is taken up in [Kreck1985, Chapter 2, pp 26-7] where it is shown how to use parametric connected sum along thickenings to define an addition of stable diffeomorphism classes of closed 2n-B-manifolds.
- [Ajala1984] S. O. Ajala, Differentiable structures on products of spheres, Houston J. Math. 10 (1984), no.1, 1–14. MR736571 (85c:57032) Zbl 0547.57026
- [Ajala1987] S. O. Ajala, Differentiable structures on a generalized product of spheres, Internat. J. Math. Math. Sci. 10 (1987), no.2, 217–226. MR886378 (88j:57028) Zbl 0627.57022
- [Hirsch] Template:Hirsch
- [Kreck1985] M. Kreck, An extension of the results of Browder, Novikov and Wall about surgery on compact manifolds, preprint Mainz (1985).
- [Kreck1999] M. Kreck, Surgery and duality, Ann. of Math. (2) 149 (1999), no.3, 707–754. MR1709301 (2001a:57051) Zbl 0935.57039
- [Sako1981] Y. Sako, Connected sum along the cycle operation of on -manifolds, Proc. Japan Acad. Ser. A Math. Sci. 57 (1981), no.10, 499–502. MR640259 (83a:57043) Zbl 0505.57010
- [Skopenkov2006] A. Skopenkov, Embedding and knotting of manifolds in Euclidean spaces, in: Surveys in Contemporary Mathematics, Ed. N. Young and Y. Choi, London Math. Soc. Lect. Notes, 347 (2008) 248-342. Available at the arXiv:0604045.
- [Skopenkov2007] A. Skopenkov, A new invariant and parametric connected sum of embeddings, Fund. Math. 197 (2007), 253–269. arXiv:math/0509621. MR2365891 (2008k:57044) Zbl 1145.57019
This page has not been refereed. The information given here might be incomplete or provisional.