|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 10:45, 15 April 2013
|the version used for publication as of 12:18, 16 May 2013 and the changes since publication.|
The user responsible for this page is Selman Akbulut. No other user may edit this page at present.
This page is being independently reviewed under the supervision of the Editorial Board.
3 Some Results
It is known that is diffeomorphic to , when is a copy of with either orientation. When is null-homologous and is simply connected this operation does not change the homeomorphism type of . It is not known whether a Gluck twisting operation can change the diffeomorphism type of any smooth orientable manifold, while it is known that this is possible in the nonorientable case ([Akbulut1988]). In many instances Gluck twisting of manifolds appear naturally, where this operation do not change their diffeomorphism types (e.g. [Gluck1962], [Akbulut1999], [Akbulut2010], [Akbulut&Yasui2012]).
- [Akbulut&Yasui2012] S. Akbulut and K. Yasui, Gluck twisting 4-manifolds with odd intersection form, (2012). Available at the arXiv:1205.6038.
- [Akbulut1988] S. Akbulut, Constructing a fake -manifold by Gluck construction to a standard -manifold, Topology 27 (1988), no.2, 239–243. MR948185 (89j:57014) Zbl 0649.57011
- [Akbulut1999] S. Akbulut, Scharlemann's manifold is standard, Ann. of Math. (2) 149 (1999), no.2, 497–510. MR1689337 (2000d:57033) Zbl 0931.57016
- [Akbulut2010] S. Akbulut, Cappell-Shaneson homotopy spheres are standard, Ann. of Math. (2) 171 (2010), no.3, 2171–2175. MR2680408 (2011i:57024) Zbl 1216.57017
- [Gluck1962] H. Gluck, The embedding of two-spheres in the four-sphere, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 104 (1962), 308–333. MR0146807 (26 #4327) Zbl 0111.18804
- [Wall1970b] C. T. C. Wall, Surgery on compact manifolds, Academic Press, London, 1970. MR0431216 (55 #4217) Zbl 0935.57003
5 External references
The Gluck construction on the Wikipedia page about exotic spheres